Credits

These pieces are first drafts that will be added to my novel in progress, "Families," which is set in Olney in 1968. The main characters are Steven Winthorp, age 10, and his mother, Kate Muir. Other important characters are Steven's friends, Tony Marino, Nancy Edwards, Ted Schwartz, and Jack Doyle. His closest friends are Jimmy, Doug, and Jeanie Harper. Steven spends a great deal of time at the Harper's and Mr. and Mrs. Harper, Frank and Alice, are his second set of parents. Agnes McGill, is Kate and Steven's landlord and she lives in the apartment upstairs. Helen Loetz, a graduate student at Penn, is Agnes' niece and lives with her.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Visit from Sergeant Frank Helstab (in Chapter 8, "Families")

       “I’ll be ready to as soon as Steven gets back with the mustard, ketchup, and onions,” said Agnes as she walked into Kate’s apartment.
        “I will never be able to thank you enough for the air conditoner, Agnes,” said Kate. The shades where drawn and the cool air flowing from the bedroom was beginning to cool the small apartment. “This day has been so hot, but now we’ll be able to sleep. That reminds me. I better get a light blanket out for Steven.” Kate went to closet and dug out a blanket that had slipped behind the towels. “An air conditioner. I’m getting spoiled. Next thing you know I’ll a TV and a car.”
        “And a house,” added Agnes. “With a yard and a dog for Steven. It’s not much to expect you know.”
         “I know, but when ...” 
          The doorbell interrupted Kate, who looked around for a place to put the armful of towels she was holding.
          “I’ll get it,” said Agnes, and she stepped out into the entranceway to open the outside door.
Kate placed the towels on the bed and returned to the living room to see Agnes leading a tall, well built man in a brown suit into the room. He looked a little wilted, he must have spent more time in heat that was good for him. “Kate, have you met Sergeant Frank Helstab? He lives down on Rubicam. He and his wife, Ella, have lived there for years. I know his wife’s mother. Frank, this is Kate Muir.”
Kate shook the Sergeant’s hand and offered him a seat.
        “No, that’s fine,” said Sgt. Helstab. “I was just coming by to see how Mrs. McGill was doing. I just heard at the station that she’d been in the hospital.”
       “That’s very nice of you Frank. I’m doing fine. This morning the heat was getting to me, but I splurged and had Ray Lucas get these air conditioners for us. I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner.”
        “That’s good to hear,” said Sgt. Helstab. “I’ll be sure to let Ella know. She’s been watching her sister’s kids for the the past week or I’m sure she’d have come by herself.”
        “Tell her thanks for thinking of me and she’s welcome anytime,” said Agnes. 
        “I’ll do that,” he said, and then turned slightly toward Kate. “Mrs. Muir I’m glad I caught you at home. I’d like to have a word about your son.”
        “It’s alright, Mrs. Muir,” said Sgt. Helstab quickly, stepping past Agnes and holding up his palms to reassure Kate. She been listening to the policeman and Agnes’ talk with a polite smile that fled when he said he wanted to talk about Steven.
          “Is he... Is something wrong?” Kate asked. Her hand’s flew to her mouth, the right grasping her fisted left hand and covering her mouth.
         “Everything’s fine,” said Sgt. Helstab in a quiet, reassuring voice. “I just wanted to introduce myself and have a brief word with you, if I could.”
          Kate realized that was holding her breath and drew in air in a shuddering gulp. “Please sit down, officer,” she said. “I sorry, you just startled me, that’s all.”
          “Would you like a glass of ice water, Frank,” said Agnes.
           Kate popped up from her chair. “Of course. I’ll get us some.”
           “No, no. I’ll get it,” said Agnes. “You just have a seat and talk with Frank.”
           “Mrs. Muir,” said Sgt. Helstab, “is Steven here?”
          “No, he’s at the store. He’ll be home soon.”
          “Well Mrs. Muir, I ran into your son this morning,” Sgt. Helstab said and then he told Kate about seeing Steven outside the bar. “I wanted to make sure we didn’t scare him. I also wanted you to know that he was wandering around pretty early.”
           “Here you are,” said Agnes, handing glasses of ice water to Kate and Sgt. Helstab. Kate’s grip slipped on the slick glass and she nearly spilled the water.  “I’m going upstairs to change for the birthday party. Call me if you need me, Kate.”
          They said goodbye to Agnes and waited for her to leave the room to return to their conversation.
“Just so I can rest easy,” said Kate. “So I remove all the mother panic that’s flared up. Steven didn’t do anything wrong, right?”
           “Right. Nothing at all,” said Sgt. Helstab. “I would just be careful about his wandering around so early. This is a safe neighborhood, but no place is absolutely safe for kids.”
          “I’ve already talked to him about that, Sergeant,” said Kate. “He won’t do it again. He was up early because of the heat and he got it in his head to see what was going on in the neighborhood early in the morning. Curiosity just got the better of him. It’s also his birthday and he’s a bit preoccupied with the usual kid birthday greediness.” Kate shrugged and shook her head slowly.
            Frank smiled and said as he stood to leave, “I don’t want to keep you. I just wanted to meet you and introduce myself. Steven goes to Morrison, doesn’t he?”
            Kate looked startled. “Yes, he does. How do you know that?”
           “Don’t worry,” said Frank smiling broadly. “We don’t have a file on him. Here’s my card. I’ve written my home address and phone number on the back. I live right behind Morrison on Rubicam. My wife and I keep an eye on things around the school. I’ve seen him in the school yard. We police get good at remembering faces.”
             “If there’s anything Ella or I can do to help with Steven, or with anything really, give us a call. Tell Steven I stopped by if you would. Sorry I missed him. I need to introduce him to my nephew, Barrett. He’s another smart kid. They’d probably get along great.”
             “It was nice to meet you, Kate. Now I will be going so you can make it to Steven’s party on time. Tell him Happy Birthday from me, won’t you.”
          They shook hands and Kate walked Sergeant Helstab to the door. As he drove away, Kate stood in the apartment door looking at the card in her hand and thought, “His tenth birthday and the police come to talk to me about my boy. Every mother’s idea of a good time. ‘Just wanted to see what was happening in the morning.’ That boy.” Shaking her head she closed the door and slipped the card in her pocket.
          Kate said on the sofa in the cool apartment and waited for Steven to come home. Kate mind’s drifted among memories of the ten years of Steven’s life. She realized she thought of the past decade as Steven’s life, not hers. Or rather, she couldn’t think of the past ten years of her life without thinking of him with her. On July 1st ten years ago, her life became Kate and Steven together, linked more closely than she had never imagined that day ten years ago.
         When Steven walked in carrying a small bag of groceries, Kate didn’t even give him time to put down the bag. She didn’t respect his often expressed desire to be treated like a big kid. Kate hugged him so tight he gasped, then kissed his forehead and both his cheeks. Steven struggled out of his mother’s embrace. He looked at her as if she’d lost her mind. “Why’d you do that?” he asked.

         “Because I don't have to get bail money on your birthday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment