Credits

These pieces are first drafts that will be added to my novel in progress, "Families," which is set in Olney in 1968. The main characters are Steven Winthorp, age 10, and his mother, Kate Muir. Other important characters are Steven's friends, Tony Marino, Nancy Edwards, Ted Schwartz, and Jack Doyle. His closest friends are Jimmy, Doug, and Jeanie Harper. Steven spends a great deal of time at the Harper's and Mr. and Mrs. Harper, Frank and Alice, are his second set of parents. Agnes McGill, is Kate and Steven's landlord and she lives in the apartment upstairs. Helen Loetz, a graduate student at Penn, is Agnes' niece and lives with her.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Driving Lesson (from "Families")

         When Kate entered her apartment and called to Steven, he didn’t answer.  He was sitting by the front window, watching uninterestedly as a father from up the street was teaching his son to drive in the nearly empty bank parking lot. The car must have had a stick, because it jerked and hopped across the lot, as the kid struggled with the clutch. Kate ran her hand over Steven’s bristles and he pulled his head away. 
        Kate wasn’t sure if he was ready to hear about her losing her job. She decided to begin slowly and see how he responded. “Steven,” Kate said, “I know it was a bad ride home.”
       Steven must have heard her, but he kept staring out the window.
      “I’m glad you finally got some sleep,” said Kate. “I’ve been very worried about how little sleep you’ve gotten lately.” He kept watching the unsuccessful driving lesson. “Steven, can you look at me, please,” she asked softly.
      Steven waited, then slowly turned around. Kate expected him to look angry or anxious, but he looked hurt. Kate realized that, in her distress, she may missed something, so she asked, “Steven, what’s the matter?”
     Steven glanced back at the bucking car. The father now had his left arm extended and jammed against the dash. The window was rolled down so his right arm could be wedged between the door panel and roofline. Kate waited for Steven to speak, frustrated that she couldn’t seem to do anything right. 
     “Jimmy and Doug are going over to Somerville Avenue today. All the kids over there are riding their bikes to Burlholme Park,” he said in a soft voice barely above a whisper. “I called Jimmy because I felt good this morning and wanted to do something, but now I can’t.”
     Kate winced. Steven didn’t have a bike. She’d knew he wanted one, and she’d saved to buy him one, but something always came up, the money always had to go somewhere else. To be honest, things had been so tight for so long, that when she had enough money to buy a bike, she hesitated, holding on to the money for the emergency that she knew was always right around the corner. There was no way to explain all these things to Steven. Maybe someday, but not now, when he was feeling left out and lonely. Money was her problem, not his, and she tried to protect him from it. “I’m sorry you can’t go with your friends, Steven. I wish there was a way.” 
      Helen came downstairs and stood on the open doorway. “I’ve got an hour until I have to get ready. I thought I’d see what you and Steven were up to.”
      “Come in,” said Kate, relieved to have escaped the awkward discussion. She hoped that Helen would cheer Steven up. 
      Helen saw Steven looking out the window. “What’s going on, Stevie?” she asked.
      “Look out for the wall!” yelled Steven. He glanced at Helen and said, “Some guy’s trying to teach his kid to drive.” 
       Helen leaned over and rested her elbows on the window sill. “Ouch! Mixed up the clutch and brake,” she said. “That can throw you clear through the windshield.”
       When a sharp turn snapped the father’s head and his Phillies cap flew out of the window, all three of the observers nearly collapsed in laughter. The harried dad wildly waved his son to a stop, threw the door open, retrieved his hat, then marched purposely to the driver’s side and ordered his son to move over.
       “That’s the end of what I hope was the first lesson,” said Helen. 
        The father started the car, but was so flustered, he popped the clutch and killed it. Furious swearing faintly reached the open window of the apartment, as the starter ground and the father roared past the apartment.
        The show over, Helen and Kate sat down. Helen sprawled on the sofa, her legs stretched out. Steven hopped over her ankles on the way to the kitchen to get some lemonade. “I wonder what Edward wants,” said Helen to no one in particular.  
       “Do you have any idea?” asked Kate.
        “No, not for sure, but I get the feeling that I’m wearing out my welcome at Edward’s,” said Helen. “It must be that. I had no idea it would me take this long to find a place. I keep being distracted by things at Penn. And then Aunt Agnes went in the hospital. I think I’ll stay here a while, if Aunt Agnes doesn’t mind. It’ll be easier to visit her. Then I’ll have to go home to Norristown and drive into Philly a couple of times a week, until I can find a place to rent near Penn. It’ll only be for the summer. I have to be settled by the time classes start.”
        “How long are you planning to stay in Agnes’ apartment?” asked Kate.
        “As long as she’s in the hospital, at least,” replied Helen. “I can get around easily by bus and train from here. My car is the garage in Norristown. I’ll leave it there until I need it.”
        “What kind of car is it?” asked Stevie.
        “A ’67 Mustang,” said Helen.
         “Nice car,” said Stevie.
          “Thanks,” said Helen. “I splurged a bit. It’s fun to drive.”

          They talked a while about cars, the Phillies, and school, Penn and Morrison, Steven’s school. After about an hour, Helen excused herself to get ready for lunch.   

No comments:

Post a Comment